A song more 1970s than the Leyland P76

IN 1974 she became the first Australian recording artist to sell more than one million singles in the US market. (A million and a half, actually). South Australian Sister of Mercy, Sr Janet Mead, made “The Lord’s Prayer” a rock hit in that year. She died yesterday, aged 84.

Sr Janet pioneered what came to be known as the “Rock Mass” – to wit, the then novel vernacular liturgy set to the music of drums and guitars. Meant to attract younger Catholics and maintain their attendance at Sunday Mass, the idea failed. As Leszek Kolakowski once wrote, “the belief in ritual tends to diminish as it is realised to what extent persons manipulate it.” Blame the bishops, not Sr Janet. She was a tireless religious and a decades-long servant of the homeless.
This entry was posted in Art, music, letters, History. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A song more 1970s than the Leyland P76

1. Entropy says:

The Australian had an article about the collapse of the British car industry the other day.
    Apparently its demise was all down to Lord Stokes and his disdain for the mini and love of the P76.

Any other reason was sort of brushed aside.

2. Not Trampis says:

This song reminded me of Van the Man possibly the best singer/songwriter of all time and Bob Dylan.
    Van the Man had at least one album full of ‘Christian’ songs. Music was superb but the words as one might expect from a catholic charismatic suspect. Bob Dylan di a few Christian albums when he became a Christian. The words could not be faulted but the music was terrible.
    The Lords prayer was given as a guide as to how to pray. The music by Mead did not enhance it at all.
    Funny though Mead was quite bolshy as a nun. This is not unexpected given she was heavily invovled in social justice activities.

…Mead was quite bolshy as a nun.

True. Her best work was as a teacher and working with the destitute. Raising money for wharfies during the Patrick’s dispute, for example, was not very prudent.

4. Shy Ted says:

Harold be his name.

Surprise! Non Mentis doesn’t like religious imagery.

6. Not Trampis says:

surprise someone cannot read.

for songs to work words and music have to gel. two of the greatest singer songwriters could not do it.
    The music really did not enhance the words at all.

Go to the Messiah. If only Mead had Handel’s talent

Non Mentis

Perhaps the Hallelujah Chorus?

8. Hugh says:

Sr Janet Mead, RIP.

But the video is so Summer Heights High. Chilling. What was she teaching those poor kids?

I grew up and was educated in a Catholic School in that era. (Daramalan College, Canberra.) The English, History, French, Maths and Science were strong. The R.E. was ever more cr*p, year on year. Fruits of Vatican II! In 1974 (my 5th form – year 11), in one session, we sat around in bean bags in the Senior Library and were invited to express what we felt about going to Mass. Everyone who did so voiced the equivalent of “It means nothing to me.” I remember interjecting: “Actually, going to Mass means a lot to me. I go to Mass at lunch time every day. You get out of it what you put into it.” The R.E. teacher’s comment? “Well that just goes to show that there are lots of different reactions to the same event.” FFS.

Mind you, I don’t blame my friends for expressing such views: the Novus Ordo Mass was already a flat balloon at that time – I would have been stunned to see any of them turn up to the lunch time mass, which was in fact un-hyped and quite devout … but how could they have known? And I’m certainly not holding myself out as a saint.

Sr Janet, God rest her soul, didn’t help. It was only when I discovered the Traditional Latin Mass and Gregorian Chant, Renaissance Polyphony, etc, that I realized that we’d been fleeced.

Now our charlatan Pope – a fossil of the 60s/70s with a correspondingly miniscule Sensus Catholicus, is purporting to smash down Tradition. Sorry, your Holiness (I pray for your conversion every day) when you die and hear the angels singing
    “Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus”, will you rejoice in Heaven, or cringe in Hell? It’s up to you.