John Howard’s enduring legacy

This entry was posted in Fake conservatism, Rule of law. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to John Howard’s enduring legacy

1. Not Trampis says:

yep those dying from firearms are well down.

Thank you John.

2. Bruce of Newcastle says:

God bless Avi!
    I doubt anyone will sell him life insurance these days.
    Lefties being what they are.

It’s fun that the 2nd Amendment’s purpose, which is to defend the people against their own government, is being proved so clearly today. We should remember that as we have to eat cold food in the dark in the next year or so.

(PS, for anyone keeping track of historical Brucish announcements, I wuz very very wrong about Howard’s buyback. Sorry.)

Non Mentis

yep those dying from firearms are well down.

And were on the way down before 1996. Did the trend line increase?

4. Petros says:

Non mentis spreading the tired lie that the gun laws made a difference. Well debunked by numerous experts in multiple senate hearings.

5. Fat Tony says:

Howard’s buyback.

Given the long game the Parasite Elite play, I’ve always thought this was a ploy to disarm the Australian public.

The Australian public should be armed for the same reason the USA 2A exists.

6. Entropy says:

Not that I have a problem with guns, they are useful tools, but to assume that I could then use my old .222 magnum for defence purposes, even against the round limited ADF is ludicrous. We aren’t in a world of armies with muzzle loading muskets anymore.

7. Fat Tony says:

Entropy says:
    1 July, 2022 at 8:32 am

Strangely enough, your .222 magnum is very similar to the current military 5.56 (.223) and would be quite adequate for defence purposes – but you’d know that.

Much better than pointing a stick at someone and yelling “Bang!”

And yes, they are “useful tools” for when governments go rogue (totalitarian) – which seems to be what Australia, New Zealand, UK, Canada & the USA governments are doing.

The other part of that equation is when society breaks down and you are on your own to protect family & self. The bad guys will have guns – they always do.

8. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Much better than pointing a stick at someone and yelling “Bang!”

I graduated from being kid pointing sticks and shouting bang to being in the AAR and pointing a large metal tube at things and shouting bang.

Being the biggest guy in my section I had to carry the Charlie Gutsache around. Tube, at least, not ammo since we never even saw any of it, let alone fired any. I got to develop my lungs though.

9. Not Trampis says:

there have ben a number of studies showing howard’s policy having a statistically significant effect. Andrew Leigh co-authored one I can remember when he was a Professor of Economics at the ANU not that deplorables would understand the econometrics used.

Non Mentis

there have ben (sic) a number of studies showing howard’s policy having a statistically significant effect.

ROFLMAO!

Nin Mentis still believes in “studies” and economic modelling! Fool.

11. NoFixedAddress says:

What is truly astounding is that evil filth like scumbag Bryant nor the evil filth that committed the atrocity in a Motor Car down Burke Street Mall were not dragged apart by 4 horses after being garroted.

Evil scum do things and we don’t just smash them to bloody pulp but look after them… fuck off NT…. stop consuming the arsenic whether in the mushrooms or the sheep dip.

12. NoFixedAddress says:

And John Howard is arguably THE WORST AUSTRALIAN PM EVER.

13. NoFixedAddress says:

And for those that actually do know something about Economics I see that the great Thomas Sowell turned 92 yesterday.

14. Fat Tony says:

And for those that actually do know something about Economic

I’ve read that economic forecasting was invented to make astrology look good.

15. Fat Tony says:

Not Trampis says:
    1 July, 2022 at 12:42 pm
    …there have ben (sic) a number of studies…

These studies – Did they include the 8 little kids murdered by their mother (7 of hers & 1 cuz) with a kitchen knife up North Qld a few years back?

Did we have a National Kitchen Knife Agreement? Did everyone have to hand in their kitchen knives??

Prior to that traitor Howard disarming the country, home invasions were very rare – even armed scum are reluctant to go into a place where the “victims” may be armed. Home invasions are now pretty common.

16. Bluey says:

I was told a couple of years ago Australia uses a different definition of a mass shooting to pretty much everywhere else on the planet. If we used the same definition, all the claims about the 1996 guns laws preventing mass shooting would fall apart.

Even if you leave aside the laws themselves, the way Howard forced the states to play ball was an abuse of federal power.

17. Rockdoctor says:

Wow I normally stay out of the fray but banning guns made the economy better. I’ll have a look at the report as the benchmarks they rely on intrigue me. Leigh is a lefty and tainted by Gillard so I’d imagine his findings aren’t exactly without bias.

As for the rest, I legally cannot stand my ground in my house let alone resort to lethal force without having to be ready to defend myself from the state which will be both financially costly but also emotionally taxing. The laws they passed in 1997 and precedents from prosecutors since had that second order effect and they have never bothered to rectify.

I live in Townsville where a a combination of judicial cowardice and state government inertia has encouraged crime that has victims, some old ladies that even the media doesn’t report anymore.

Na rather have my guns and the right to defend myself.

Na rather have my guns and the right to defend myself.

As the old saying says, I’d rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
    People who have put up no resistance at all have been murdered in their own homes, like the homeowner in Australia some years ago who was found bound up, then shot dead.
    Anyone who breaks into my home is literally putting his life in my hands, stuff what the police and civil liberties activists think.

19. Rohan says:

I asked my rifles, which are tucked up nice and snug in the safe, what they thought about this. Funnily enough, there was no response. It’s like they don’t have a mind of their own.

Anyway, I shot a 60.4 last weekend at 400y followed by a 57.4. The second range was a bit more variable so pushed 3 rounds into the 5 ring at 9 and 3 O’Clock. I also had to RO while the club captain was shooting. We gun nuts are such evil bastards.

It was a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

20. NoFixedAddress says:

Fat Tony says:
    1 July, 2022 at 1:26 pm

And for those that actually do know something about Economic

I’ve read that economic forecasting was invented to make astrology look good.

LOL

How Dare You associate economics with astrology!

Astrologists don’t deserve to be tarred with the uselessness of a “modern” economist.

21. Hugh says:

I remember reading about a police strike in Orlando, Florida in the early 1970s. The police advertised it beforehand: it was going to last for a month or so. In preparation, the citizenry trained themselves in karate and other self-defence courses, and bought and trained themselves in gun handling.

After a couple of weeks, the police had to call off the strike. Because the crime rate nosedived while it was on.

22. Hugh says:

And in an essay by Jim Powell in “The Freeman” (I’ve got it somewhere in my library, but still unpacking after a move) he notes that in the five most allegedly “wild west” states (Utah, Nevada, etc), there was only one successful bank robbery between 1850 and 1900. Hmmm, now why would that be?

23. Ed Case says:

That would be because both areas were settled by Mormons who believe that stealin’ is wrong.
    Utah was only admitted to the Union as a State in 1896, so you’re only talking about a 4 year period there anyway, not 50.

24. Hugh says:

Oh dear, does it come to this?

It is known as the “wild west”, Ed. Which at some stage was differentiated into 5 different states admitted to the Union. Not all overwhelmingly populated by Mormons. And what has admission to the Union got to do with it anyway? The point is that in about a 50 year time period, this area – state or non-state and crawling with gun-toters – had only 1 successful bank robbery. What’s your substantive objection?

Hugh

What’s your substantive objection?

Dickless Ed objects to any tinge of reality which disturbs the “progressive” so-called “narrative” that he follows as part of his religion.

26. Ed Case says:

It is known as the “wild west”, Ed.

The Utah Territory wasn’t known as the “Wild West”.

Only Utah and Nevada were part of the Utah Territory

Not all overwhelmingly populated by Mormons.

Yes they were.

27. Hugh says:

The Utah Territory wasn’t known as the “Wild West”.
    All regions west of the Mississippi were known as the “Wild West”, Ed. And I’m referring in my comment above to the westest of the west. If you have any documentary evidence that the Utah/Nevada regions were part of some “not so wild, wild west” exception, please supply.

Only Utah and Nevada were part of the Utah Territory

So?

Yes they were.

Are you saying that all of the five extant states east of the Rockies were regions once overwhelmingly occupied by Mormons between 1850 and 1900? Data, please.

P.S. I’m not arguing that the “Wild West” was all that wild, Mormons or no Mormons. On the contrary, it was actually very ordered, but just not by centralized government (which is why it was called “wild”.) People arranged things for themselves, mirabile dictu. See, for example, Terry Anderson’s essay at: https://mises.org/library/american-experiment-anarcho-capitalism-not-so-wild-wild-west

28. NoFixedAddress says:

Hugh

LOL

Not disagreeing with your comments but merely point out that The Mormons were as quick to violence as any other group in The Wild West.

See Mountain Meadows Massacre and the slaughter of ‘a few’ Indians along the way.

29. NoFixedAddress says:

The other aspect of robbing banks in The Wild West was the certain knowledge that a group of vengeful local bank depositors would be rapidly tracking you down with no qualms of delivering summary ultimate on the spot justice.

A lot to be said for everyone to be dependent on horses for transportation.

30. Ed Case says:

P.S. I’m not arguing that the “Wild West” was all that wild,
    uh huh
    Mormons or no Mormons.
    In the Utah Territory:
    Mormons
    lol

31. Hugh says:

From the article’s intro:

“The West during this time often is perceived as a place of great chaos, with
    little respect for property or life. Our research indicates that this was not the
    case; property rights were protected and civil order prevailed. Private
    agencies provided the necessary basis for an orderly society in which prop-
    erty was protected and conflicts were resolved. These agencies often did not
    qualify as governments because they did not have a legal monopoly on
    “keeping order.” They soon discovered that “warfare” was a costly way of
    resolving disputes and lower cost methods of settlement (arbitration, courts,
    etc.) resulted. In summary, this paper argues that a characterization of the
    American West as chaotic would appear to be incorrect.”