EU goes to war in defence of the West’s most important pillars

Friday’s two lawsuits add to a long list of increasingly bitter standoffs between Hungary’s hardline nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orban and the liberal core of the EU over human rights and democratic standards.

“The European Commission today decided to refer Hungary to the Court of Justice of the EU over a Hungarian law which discriminates against people on the basis of their sexual orientation and gender identity,” said the EU’s executive…

The case relates to a law Hungary enacted last year banning the use of materials seen as promoting homosexuality and gender change in schools.

Touted as protecting children by the government of Orban, who presents himself as a defender of traditional Catholic family values, it was criticised by human rights groups and international watchdogs as discriminating against LGBTQ people and labelled a “disgrace” by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Gay marriage is not recognised in Hungary and only heterosexual couples can legally adopt children. Orban’s government has redefined marriage as the union between one man and one woman in the constitution, and limited gay adoption.

I’m so old I can remember when Penny Wong was an Orbanite. Now she’s Foreign Minister.
This entry was posted in Culture, Rule of law. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to EU goes to war in defence of the West’s most important pillars

1. Franx says:

The EU commission seems to hold that the laws of the nation states in the EU are superfluous to need.

2. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Amusing that an unelected elite bunch of bureaucrats should take an elected government to an unelected court for a popular law passed democratically.

The ECJ is a huge issue in the UK, we’ve seen that recently. One of the dynamics of the Tory leadership horserace this week is which candidate will complete Brexit. Which I take to mean booting the ECJ into the outer darkness where it deserves to be. Since the UK is still in the ECJ though, and not in the EU, it suggests membership of the ECJ is separate from the EU treaties. If so it’d great fun if Orban could ditch the ECJ whilst keeping the EU. Heads would explode quite merrily if that were to be possible.

3. jupes says:

Eminently sensible and therefore a “disgrace” to the child abusers and groomers. This country is crying out for a politician of Orban’s character.

4. Edddystone says:

Orban’s government has redefined marriage

I’m sure I remember when the “redefining marriage ” argument was deemed inadmissible. “Homophobic” was the reason.

As PJW says, “it’s different when they do it. “

Europe is now so lost and ridiculous that, yes, you read that correctly: Orban is being accused of redefining marriage as the union between one man and one woman.

6. cuckoo says:

I’m so old I can remember when Penny Wong was an Orbanite.

I’m so old I can remember when she was straight.

7. dover_beach says:

This is why I find the reference to ‘the West’ now at best, absurd, and at worst, a lie. C.L., I don’t know if you’ve caught Patrick Deneen’s article review of Douglas Murray new book at Compact. It’s very good and paints an unflattering portrait of the anti-woke right. Highly recommended.

Deneen gets it. I don’t dislike Murray per se but liberal regime propagandist is exactly what he is. I don’t know how many times I’ve cringed as he mouthed all the usual qualifications about vaccines during interviews with Rita P. Mandates are terrible but, “look, I myself am vaccinated and think anyone who isn’t is crazy and they undoubtedly saved the day …”

He’s a natural fit on Sky where woke has become nothing more than lazy fun bait for presenters who aren’t committed to a ‘civilisation’ at all. All of them now have a woke mockery package followed up with an editorial no deeper than Bernardi’s “what a world, hey… after the break: Jim Molan on the next war.”

I used to describe Ratzinger as the “last European.” I think I should change that to “the last Westerner.”

9. dover_beach says:

LOL, yes. They really don’t want to ask how we got here because liberalism will end up the prime suspect and the last thing they want to do is to turn a critical eye on ‘structural liberalism’.

10. cuckoo says:

Can’t believe I just read this on the Age’s website, about the whale carcass washed ashore in Victoria. I mean, I just can’t even…I’m literally shaking…

“One of the most important things is the morphology of the genital area; that’s very indicative of it being a female.”

The Age is being transphobic.
    How do they know it didn’t identify as male?

12. Gab says:

‘The final battle between the Lord and the kingdom of Satan will be about Marriage and the Family.’

– Sr Lucia