Famous last words for a large number of crumbling institutions

Then a few of the women said, ‘Well why can’t we be involved?’
This entry was posted in Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Famous last words for a large number of crumbling institutions

1. calli says:

Ms Hewat said catering to both men and women was one of the selling points that helped the shed secure a $291,000 NSW government grant to help build and fit out the site on Robertson’s main street.

Of course it did. Because men on their own could never humbug so much money from government…it takes a woman to whine her way into a substantial grant.

Why these needy chicks have to worm their way (or bully should worming be unsuccessful) into men’s organisations is beyond me. Can’t they just let blokes be blokes and escape their basilisk gaze for even a few hours a week? Hell no! They might muck around…and joke about their wives, or mothers in law or some other delicate creature. Or do some useful, fund raising work for charity without the oversight of all-knowing Wise Women.

Girls…if you desperately want to do some carpentry, or some metalwork, or bricklaying or whatever…organise your own club. Just like the Stitch and Bitch mob. If we can do it, so can you. It takes effort though, so that might rule a lot of these moochers out.

2. Jackie Howe-Singlet says:

Girls can do anything… especially things they’re not interested in.

My prediction: eventually, all of these sheds will eventually be ‘gender neutral’. Certainly, the new ones will be. The ‘gender’ begging template pioneered in Robertson is sure to work everywhere else.

This is yet another demonstration of how social capital is eventually taken over by the state – while those who created it from the ground-up welcome the money.

I was never a big fan of the men’s shed rationale, though, to be honest – not that I’m in the relevant demographic anyway. It always struck me as sooky.

4. Petros says:

Can men go to those women’s gyms?

5. Christine says:

Entirely different activity, but the women who try to elbow-in on the local men’s walking group are told No.

That woman who claims she’s too young for bowls would be kidding herself.
    The Southern Highlands have been taken over by a different breed.

6. Entropy says:

I would just point out that quite a few of those men’s sheds have always had their hands up for government grant money. And not in a small way. I know because I have been running the grant programs.

I would note though, that you never, ever come across men wanting to join women’s clubs.

Well, men who know they are men.

I’m obliged to mention my ‘law of clubs’ – first proposed at Old Catallaxy:

The law states that when women follow men into male-dominated environs, the prestige rightly or wrongly associated with the latter eventually declines and men start to leave. Women then follow men to their newly favoured clubs and professions.

8. Texas Jack says:

I established a men’s saddle bronc riding group. Feel free to try and join.

9. Entropy says:

That’s pretty right CL. see Rotary, Lions.

They are dead but don’t know it yet.

10. Buccaneer says:

And no one makes them pretend to be men, if it were a women’s gym or some other women’s only establishment the only way a man could get admitted would be to claim they are trans ginger.

11. Dunny Brush says:

See also football clubs. The day before yesterday, boys played footy, girls played netball, a great sport which girls play better at. The SJWs got involved. Now every footy club has girls teams which are of course given the games after 11am (boys playing earlier now freeze and that’s caused attrition).Football doesn’t suit girls but nobody is allowed to mention that.

12. NFA says:

‘It’s Time’ for men to join the CWA.

13. Roger W says:

One thing is for sure – when women join men’s organizations they change. Same for men joining women dominated organizations. You can argue it is for the better or worse but you can’t argue that they change.
    I am a New Australian and was brought up in England. My primary school, my secondary school and my university college were all male only and I am glad that was the case. The primary school had some female teachers but the majority were men – and none had man buns! Most had fought in World War II (this was in the 1950’s) and a few in World War I. They were good role models. The secondary school was all male and I had none of the distractions I saw plaguing both males and females in the co-ed schools I taught in as an adult.
    The university college went co-ed some 5 years after I left. When I visited some 25 years later, the college no longer served breakfast. The students were by then 60% female and what 20 year old female eats breakfast? The bar had become a coffee bar where you could get coffee and toast/cereal/yoghurt if you wanted in the morning but no full English breakfast! More interestingly, when I looked at the notice board I saw that all the committees were completely female. Not a male on any of them. The college Chaplin walked by as I was looking and I mentioned this to her (yes, the Chaplain was now also female). She couldn’t see why I thought this was a problem. Couldn’t I understand that women would always make better decisions?
    In the other direction, I joined my wife’s book club a few years ago. She was initially reluctant. You will say things that will upset people, she said. I promised not to, though I did say what I thought at times, in what I thought was a gentle manner. Other women there often agreed with me. When I talked to my wife about it she said that, before, a few Woke women had tended to dominate and the others just kept quiet. Kath, Shirley, Gale, you, Dana don’t keep quiet, I said. Not now, she answered, they seem to have been “given permission” by your speaking to also express what they really feel.
    So mix and match if you like but expect consequences!

⬆️ 💯 👏

15. Ragu Namatjira says:

I bet that if one were to rock up to a boomer shed with a sheet of lead-free copper and designs to make a pot still, some silly old coot would dob you into the wallopers.

The fact is, men who’ve worked on the tools all their lives have their own, well stocked sheds to eff about in, away from women and dickheads. I’ll also bet that the overwhelming majority of silly old goats in these boomer sheds haven’t been on the tools since high school and are there purely for some sort of fantasy life.

And then they let the chick’s in.

Anyone with half a brain would’ve walked because they don’t want to spend time teaching women how not to cut off fingers and limbs, nor be coerced into doing all the work. You can see where it’s going, OHS the shit out of something that’s supposed to be about a leisure activity.

Many years ago my carpentry teacher (a middle-aged male) was missing two fingers.

I didn’t need to be Einstein to figure out how that happened!